Friday, January 15, 2010

Thrifter's Challenge


The quickest way to know a woman is to go shopping with her. ~Marcelene Cox

About the time I started blogging, I started budgeting $20 a week for decorating projects. I call it my thrifter's challenge.

After a month of no thrifting, last week I ventured out to our local "antiques" stores. A couple misses, but one major hit.

Set in a two story building dating back to 1876, Clossman's is like one of those Antique/Flea Market Shows. They have a little bit of everything and the prices are affordable; not Goodwill affordable but still within my price range.

On my first trip there, I spotted a couple chairs with potential and was preparing to do a closer inspection when the owner told me he was closing early. Poor guy didn't feel well. So, I left without a fight but not before telling him in my most convincing Schwarzeneggar voice, "I'll be back".

The next day, I returned to claim my prize; a {slightly different} pair of mid century-style chairs.

The cost? Just two weeks of my thrifter's challenge budget. Yes, I overspent....but hey, it's been a month of no shopping.

$40 (for those of you just skimming down to see the picture)

Now as much as I'd love to show you the beautiful AFTER photos...I can't. Things don't happen that fast around here.

So, rather than show you the same chairs in their new space, I'll just show you a couple pics of similar chairs I found on Craigslist. {Besides, if you're like Hubby, I have to convince you that these ugly chairs are a good deal}




Same manufacturer as mine {Hill-Rom}

Asking price $250



Pair of "danish lounge chairs"

Asking price $245

I found a few other things, but I'll save that for another post. If you'd like to see more thrifty finds and projects, please check out the links below. Have a great weekend!

Sincerely, Lisa

Frugalicious Friday at Finding Fabulous

Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed


12 comments:

  1. A great price on the chairs...especially when you see the comparisons that you found. I'm looking forward to seeing them in your home.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh la la. Really like those chairs. I CAN'T wait to see the AFTER photo. Now, hurry along...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, it might take a little convincing for me. I'm not in the camp that "gets" mid-century modern, but I know what it's like to buy something that leaves other people (and my hubby) scratching their heads. Good for you for having the confidence to buy something you love. I can't wait to see what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... can't wait to see what you do with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you! Nothing like a bargain. I do the same thing as far as allotting a certain amount each month to spend. I call it my "mad money." The only thing sweeter than getting a bargain is being able to prove it. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun chairs! Can't wait to see what you do with them! Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter would fiip for these chairs... She has a house of mid-century modern... Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Score! Do you know how much your chairs are worth? You may be surprised...

    ReplyDelete
  9. we have a solution for you sitew.in which is going to bring so many sorts Know More after that you will certainly feel like you have FB Liker Installation & Download Process : PC, Android already become a superstar that gets FB Liker a lot attention from the people. If you wish to obtain thousands of followers on FB Liker App Facebook then the app which is mosting likely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This industrial-style basket rack strikingly.com/ would certainly be best for an older kid who's tired Title of all the plastic he or she's The Safest & Ideal High Chair For Children: Mama's Guide 2017 matured with.

    ReplyDelete