Friday, April 9, 2010

School Daze and Lessons Learned

Well,  I made it.  Although I've survived my first two weeks of class, It has certainly been a comedy of errors. 

By the end of the first day, I learned the most valuable lesson in self care. 

Too nervous to eat, I skipped breakfast thinking I would have time to grab a snack before lunch.  WRONG!  When they say clinical is scheduled 7a-1p, that's what they mean.  We had {two} two minute potty breaks. Whew!

After clinical, I have a thirty minute break until my next class.  Any smart person would eat lunch, but not me.  I was afraid I'd be late to class.  So by the time 3pm rolled around, I was done.  MIGRAINE!

The good part...I managed to pick up the kids and was driving home before I vomitted all over myself and the driver's side of the car.
The bad part...c'mon the whole experience was bad.  Who really wants to clean this mess. 

The other mishap came on Thursday.  As I was trying to determine if I had the actual pen or trainer-pen,  I accidently shot myself with Max's epi-pen.  Lucky for me it was a through and through shot to my non -dominant thumb. 

The common factor for both events: ANXIETY. 

I approached the second week getting more rest and feeling less stressed.  I start each day with a hearty bowl of oatmeal and pack a snack.  I not only found the cafeteria, but also a couple lunch buddies from my nursing classes. 

Although, I made a couple mistakes this week (like studying the wrong vocab words for my first Anatomy and Physiology quiz), I'm feeling more confident. 

Right now my biggest challenge is the amount of time I spend on the computer.  Technology plays a huge role in today's education.  Most of our assignments, grades and class notes are given via Blackboard (the university's web-based community).  By the end of the day, my eyes are strained and my head hurts from staring at a screen.  I'm wondering if glasses would help?



So there you have it...my first school report.  I'm enjoying school.  I love learning and I'm thankful for the opportunity I've been given. 

I have three exams next week...so I need to get back to studying.  Have a good weekend!

Sincerely, Lisa

12 comments:

  1. Lisa, I am so glad you posted how the first 2 weeks went! I have been thinking of you! I had the same eye strain and went to the doctor...prescription was every 20 minutes take a 5 minute break...close my eyes and let them rest! It worked and a good excuse to take a much needed break from school work! I am going to share your blog with my neighbor (Karen) who graduated nsg school last year...I know you'll like her! (a mom with 3 little kids)
    Keep in touch and have a great weekend!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear from you and I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying school. I was sorry to read about your couple of mishaps the first week but it sounds like you have everything under control now.....you're an old pro!
    Good luck with the tests next week.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, thanks for the update. I'm sorry to hear about your migrane and your drive home. I know it will get better. Keep us posted and have a great weekend. Jude

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the update!! You can ignore my email I just sent you. Hang in there...if you need me to, I will send you some of my Xanax!

    Love you and I SO ADMIRE your determination to go to school. You are rock'n the smarts.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness! I am glad you made it thru with your positive attitude intact. Go get glasses! Your symptoms sound just like mine when I work on the computer without mine! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa,
    You can do this! I'm proud of you!
    Keep up the good work!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa-one of the things I have always admired about you is your willingness to learn. Granted as your mother, those lessons are not taught by me at this age but you continue to open to life's coaching. Your commitment as a life learner will serve you well....xoxo~Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I've had hunger migraines. Those are nothing to play with. Looks like things are on the up road for you though. You got a handle on your routine and some lunch buddies. I love the pic of the girl with the glasses hanging off her face. I'm happy to hear that you got it together instead of falling apart :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to hear from you again. Didn't realize you were in school. Hooray for you! Nursing is a great field. If I had the stomach for it, I would have done it. Seems there's always openings and good pay too. I know you're a busy girl right now. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lisa,
    Just checking in to see how school is going. Hope you and your family are doing well.
    Take care,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lisa,
    Thanks for dropping by, it was so good to hear from you. Glad to hear you are enjoying a little summer break. I hope you and your family are enjoying your time together.
    Thanks for asking about my hubby. He's doing pretty good. There has been some disease progression and he is weaker now and walks most everywhere with a cane. Longer walks (like through an airport) now require a wheelchair.
    We are leaving for England very soon to visit friends and we are all very excited about that.
    Have a great summer and please keep in touch.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lady! I hope everything is going well with school! Just wanted to come check on ya:-)

    ReplyDelete